According to CCLI, Chris Tomlin is the most sung songwriter in the world. It is estimated that 20 to 30 million people sing Tomlin’s songs on any given Sunday in the US alone. Arguably the David of our day, Chris has been writing and recording since the early 90s and is continuing to lead and inspire the church worldwide through song.
Below, are 5 of my favorite Chris Tomlin songs.
- How Great Is Our God: This song is simple and can be played on any instrument. Acoustic guitar, piano, I’m convinced it would even work with a djembe. Well, the djembe might be a stretch but you get the point. It’s no wonder this song is translated into countless languages and is literally sung worldwide, it’s easy to play and easy to sing. The lyrics are also scripture-centered as shown by this line-by-line breakdown.
Favorite line: He wraps Himself in light
- Our God: This was an instant classic the day it was released back in 2010. The staccato bridge and the orchestral arrangement give this song so much energy yet maintain its worshipful theme. The tempo and key of this songs make it a goldmine when creating a setlist. It’s not too slow so it can be used as an opener and if you slow it down just a bit or simply change the arrangement, it can be used in the middle of the set just as well.
Favorite line: Then what could stand against
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone): I have a deep appreciation for hymns. Not only the theologically rich lyrics but the melodies as well. Tomlin was asked to write the additional chorus for a movie which was no easy task considering that Amazing Grace is arguably the most widely recognized religious song ever written. I think it’s safe to say his rendition was a huge success and helped start the comeback of hymns in the modern church.
Favorite line: And like a flood His mercy rains
- I Will Follow: Full of statements that cannot be taken lightly, I absolutely love the way this upbeat anthem pairs a massive rhythm section with a huge message. This song was a step in different direction for Chris musically and one that I appreciate very much. I like using this song right after Our God in my setlist. The two work together perfectly.
Favorite line: Whom You love I’ll love
- We Fall Down: This is one of my favorite spontaneous worship songs ever. It’s easy to play and works really well on acoustic guitar or piano. I’ve used it countless times during quieter worship moments when I feel like I need another song but don’t have one planned.
Favorite line: And we cry holy holy holy is the Lamb
What are your favorite Chris Tomlin songs? Comment below and keep an eye out for part two coming next week.
Try Proclaim for Free
Proclaim Church Presentation Software allows you to collaborate with your team from wherever they work best. No more emailing large files or fumbling with flash drives. Best of all, it connects with many of the tools you already use, like Planning Center Online, CCLI SongSelect, and Graceway Media. Try it for free at ProclaimOnline.com/Download. And now, you get 30 days of Pro Media for free too!